Saturday, February 28, 2015

HSM: February 15 - Blue

I am not quite sure what to do with the sensation I'm feeling about having actually accomplished a sewing goal two months running but I expect I will get over it.

This month for the Historical Sew Monthly the theme was blue.  As I had a massive wad of blue linen hanging about in my stash, this was excellent timing.  Being new to the reenacting hobby as well as planning a Williamsburg trip next month (AHH so much to do still!) it was only natural that the gown should be 1770s.

Naturally I could not find my fichu/neck handkerchief, so I had to stuff a very pink paisley one down there for modestly.  Somewhere between sewing the left sleeve and sewing the right sleeve, my gown became far too small in the shoulders.  I am not sure how this happened, but I am very grateful I left a lot of allowance at the back seam--it must be let out.  The straps, as they are, barely go over my shoulders and I can't quite move my right arm.  Not good!





I'm entertaining the idea of chucking a few bones in the front and back because of this hideous rippling going on. Ah well, it's a working class gown!




I lined the inside with a Jacobean-ish print that, upon closer inspection, is not quite as accurate for 18th century as I once believed.  The print is a bit too small and bust in my opinion, but close enough that it doesn't bother me as a lining.  I quite like it with the blue linen, in fact.

Do enjoy my hideous stitching.  My daughter was distracting me throughout the creation of this gown (literally every time) by trying to eat my cake of beeswax.



















So that's that!  On to the next project.  It's about stash busting, so I think it might be a good time to use up some wool.  That stuff takes up so much room!

Enjoy your weekend, lovelies.

No comments:

Post a Comment