Wednesday, August 26, 2015

HSM: April, May, June, & July 15

Playing Catch-up!  I managed to submit all of these on time through the Facebook group (and May's challenge snuck into my last post) but I'm still *attempting* to document my challenge progress here!

April: War & Peace 

Initially, I was going to make my husband's new regimental coat--but then I ran out of time.  This is an ongoing theme of my summer!






What is it: 1940s bathing suit, in toddler form. It applies to War (& Peace) in the sense that this type of suit was in style due to the smaller amount of fabric needed.

Fabric: Vintage! I'm not sure what it's made of, but my guess is a poly cotton blend.

Pattern: Adapted from a Simplicity Vintage romper pattern

Notions: Gutterman Natural red cotton thread

Accuracy: About 90% perhaps...bathing suits weren't made out of poly cotton as far as I know!

Hours to complete: About 1.5

Cost: Maybe $0.25 worth of thread, but I inherited the fabric from my mother.



May: Practicality 



What is it: Mid to late 18th century basic housework and/or I'm-not-dressed-yet outfit including a shift, cap, petticoat, bedgown, half-boned stays (they are SO ugly--was pressed for time--so I didn't take a separate photo), and apron.

Pattern: JP Ryan for the cap; all other items were made up. The bedgown is heavily based on the information here: http://www.marquise.de/en/1700/howto/frauen/18mdelit.shtml...but I was completely confused about the collar and sort of did my own thing there.

Fabric: White tissue linen for the shift and cap, organic cotton sateen for the petticoat (I had it lying around from an old sheet--seemed practical and frugal at the same time!), woven cotton check for the bedgown, and woven blue check for the apron.

Year: This was made for a 1780 reenactment but I see no reason it couldn't be worn mid- to late 18th century.

Notions: B&T linen thread, Guttermann natural cotton thread, linen tape, cotton tape (various lengths, widths, and colors), & reed boning

How historically accurate is it? Everything is hand finished, but as I needed this for an event halfway through the month, the long interior seams of the petticoat, shift, and bedgown were machine stitched. So...90%? The stays...ugh. It was my first time drafting a stays pattern to measurements *and* doing cross boning (or whatever that's called) so I'm just lucky they fit and gave the correct silhouette. The construction is a mess, though.

Hours to complete: About 18, all told (thank you sewing machine!)

Total cost: Maaaaaaaybe $15 of new materials, but most things were remnants or upcycled.



June: Out of your Comfort Zone

Again, I was going to do my husband's regimental for this.  It works for a multitude of challenges, really!  But. . . time.




What it is: 1770s waistcoat and breeches for my dear ol' Dad... Out of my comfort zone because men's clothing is so different!!!

Pattern: I borrowed custom patterns from our unit's tailor and altered them to fit. 

Fabric: Red medium-heavy weight linen.

Year: 1770s

Notions: Guttermann natural cotton thread, pewter buttons

How historically accurate is it? 99%... Interior seams machine stitched, everything else done by hand.

Hours to complete: About 10, most of those measuring!

Total cost: $0...made with remnants of my favorite petticoat.



July: Accessorize

Easy challenge... I needed both of these, and it worked perfectly.




What is it: 18th Century Hussif & Pocket

Pattern: The pocket was scaled up from Janet Arnold's patterns of fashion, and the housewife was just made out of scraps.

Fabric: Unbleached cotton (pocket), organic cotton sateen, blue cotton, grey check woven cotton, reproduction print cotton, natural canvas, & shredded cotton scraps for padding (housewife)

Year: Appropriate for large part of 18th century

Notions: B&T linen thread, Guttermann natural cotton thread, cotton tape, linen tape

How historically accurate is it? 100% for housewife, 99% for pocket because the interior seams are machine stitched.

Hours to complete: 3?

Total cost: $0...all scraps, and I already had the pins etc. to fill the housewife.

No comments:

Post a Comment